Thursday 4 December 2014

Butterfly Birthday Card

Yesterday was my Mum's birthday ... I won't reveal her advanced age ... and she insisted on the fact that she didn't want any 'presents' but rather our 'presence'.  As someone who has always loved craft and sewing, I knew she would appreciate the love that goes into a handmade gift, so I set about stitching her a birthday card.  


This butterfly was one of a set of six gorgeous butterfly designs in the March 2014 issue of the Cross Stitch Card Magazine and, as I sometimes do, adjusted the colour shade selection to suit what was available in my stash and to have fun by experimenting with varying colours. However, I was really happy with the blended shades for this design as I think the soft teal and blue work well against the contrasting purple outlining and matching cardstock.  


With the design 10cm square (3-3/4 in.), 53 high x 53 wide and stitched on 14 count white aida, took approximately 3 to 4 hours to complete over the space of a couple of days.  My only regret is that I was running out of time to finish the card before collecting my Mum to bring her home to our place for a home cooked birthday dinner and as such would have liked to add embellishment with a few beads here and there to give a certain sparkle.  I think it would have given a pretty finish.  As with all my cards a white paper insert was attached to write a special message.  

I'm happy to report that Mum loved the card, a small posy of my home-grown miniature roses and the birthday dinner and mentioned on more than one occasion that she had had a lovely day.  I guess that's all that really matters, isn't it?

Ros

'Love is like a butterfly.  It goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes' - Author unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment